IIT Madras is one of India’s best engineering institutes and is ranked 1st by NIRF in the engineering category. The BTech in Computer Science & Engineering is one of the popular courses in India. IIT Madras to offers this course to qualified students. But is this the best Computer Science course in the country? Is it worth it? All these questions are answered here in this piece.
IIT Madras boasts of top-ranked faculty and conducts extra-curricular activities for students. Students are constantly encouraged and motivated to follow their dreams and passion. All these lead to the overall development of the students. Read this article to know about our 10 best reasons to study Computer Science & Engineering from IIT Madras.
10 Reasons to study BTech at IIT Madras
Here, we have mentioned 10 solid reasons to study BTech at IIT Madras. Read on to know why one should study BTech at IIT Madras.
- Top-ranked Institute
Not only is IIT Madras one of the best IITs in India, but it also is among the best institutes in every aspect. It has retained its first position for the past 3 years as per the NIRF Engineering ranking. As per QS World University Rankings 2021, it ranked 94th in the world and 3rd in India. The Department of Computer Science & Engineering in IIT Madras was ranked 114th in the world.
- Experienced Faculty
The Computer Science department of IIT Madras has highly experienced faculty members. They are readily available to guide their students and ensure that students are always motivated. They are friendly and helpful regarding any sphere of life, not just restricted to academics. They are the best in the country, which greatly contributes to the top rank of IIT Madras.
- Affordable Fee Structure
IIT Madras is more affordable compared to its sister IITs. Students pursuing B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering have to pay around INR 1.20 lakhs per semester. Let’s take a look at the 1st-semester fees of some of the top IITs compared to that of IIT Madras below:
- IIT Madras – INR 1.20 lakhs
- IIT Bombay – INR 1.25 lakhs
- IIT Kanpur – INR 1.38 lakhs
- IIT Kharagpur – INR 1.46 lakhs
- Financial Assistance and Scholarships
IIT Madras has numerous scholarship schemes for the financial assistance of Computer Science students. Schemes of central or state governments, semi-government bodies, NGOs, or other autonomous bodies are enlisted with the institute.
- MCM Scholarship – The Merit cum Means scholarship of IIT Madras is for candidates who belong to families with less than INR 4.50 lakhs total annual income. A part of their tuition fee is exempted in this scheme. The scholar can get it renewed after every semester if he/she has achieved at least a 5.0 GPA in the previous semester.
- SC/ST Scholarship – The institute furnishes this scheme for SC/ST students whose annual family income is not more than INR 4,50,000. Under this scheme, they can get a free residential facility, monthly pocket allowance of Rs. 250 and tuition fee exemption. It can be renewed after every semester.
- Sri V Ranga Raju Memorial Scholarship – This scholarship is given to students whose family income is less than INR 5 lakh per year. Monthly Rs. 500 is given to one B. Tech student for 4 years.
- Central Sector Scholarship for SC students – This scholarship scheme is funded by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, GoI. SC students belonging to families with a total annual income of less than INR 4.50 lakhs are considered for this assistance.
However, such students must have ranked among the top 10 in JEE Advanced. Their fees will be reimbursed. INR 45,000 will be provided for a personal PC or laptop, INR 2,200 per month will be given for personal expenses and a lump sum of INR 3,000 annually will be given for books and stationery expenses.
There are more scholarship schemes of IIT Madras which you can find on the website of the institute.
- Great placement record
In 2019-20, IIT Madras recorded the highest placements despite the pandemic. 100% of graduates from all streams and courses were placed with the top recruiters.
- The highest placement percentage was recorded in the Computer Science department pegged at 91%.
- The maximum salary package bagged by students was INR 88.2 lakhs, starting from INR 12 lakhs.
- The median salary was recorded at INR 24.57 lakhs.
- 37 B. Tech CSE graduates had registered for campus placements, out of which 26 were placed.
- Students were recruited for posts such as Software Engineer, Research Engineer, Analyst, CAD Engineer, Engineer Platform Architecture, and more.
- Companies such as Amazon, Microsoft, JP Morgan Chase, Intel, HCL Technologies, Goldman Sachs, CISCO, Samsung, SAP, Oracle, VISA Inc., Walmart Labs, TATA Digital, Flipkart, and the like visited the campus for the recruitment drive in 2019-20.
- Exciting Campus life
Campus life in IIT Madras is pretty exciting. Several events are held around the year. To start with, a tech-fest called Shaastra is conducted by the students of IITM, bringing in participants from all backgrounds including management.
Saarang, the cultural extravaganza is one of the most awaited events of the year. It’s a grand celebration of art and culture bringing together people from all walks of life. Other fests include the ones specially organized by the departments, one of which is EXEBIT, conducted by the Department of Computer Science.
The campus is spread over a large area, landscaped with lakes, flora, and fauna, a part of which is carved out of the Guindy National Park. It’s indeed very pleasing to be on campus. Libraries, computer centres, and labs are updated with the latest inclusions. Residential facilities are provided to the students within the campus.
For entertainment purposes, an Open Air Theatre can be found on the campus for movie screening. To encourage students in sports apart from academics, many sports centres, stadiums, and courts have been constructed. The campus is well equipped and connected with all necessary services like hospital, bank, post office, shopping complex, etc.
- Social activities
Students of IIT Madras are encouraged to work for the well-being of the underprivileged and specially-abled people. They work for many social causes like IIT for Villages, an initiative where children in the rural areas are imparted education for their inclusion into the mainstream.
The Sustainability Network promotes the use of sustainable forms of energy addressing environmental issues and more. Team Sahaay works towards providing technical solutions to specially-abled persons.
- Alumni Relations
The alumni network of IIT Madras is very strong. Current students can connect with the alumni members. They mentor the students and also help them with scholarships and fund arrangements. The Office of Alumni Affairs acts as a link between the alumni, students, and faculty.
- Opportunity for Further Studies
After B.Tech in Computer Science & Engineering, students have the opportunity to proceed further with their studies in IIT Madras. M.Tech in CSE and other allied specializations are offered in the institute, however, students must qualify GATE for admission. There are research facilities too in IIT Madras in the field of Computer Science.
So, these are our reasons to study BTech Computer Science at IIT Madras. Hope this article has been of some help to the students. Students who are planning to take the JEE Main 2021 or JEE Advanced 2021 can consider studying here.